Call Us At 1300 261 114
Call Us At 1300 261 114

How to Claim

How To Claim? 

For a faster and more convenient way to lodge a claim, we encourage our members to submit them electronically.

Application forms can be downloaded from our Forms page, completed and emailed back to the office via claims@bert.com.au. Please ensure you also include your separation certificate and bank statement verifying your name and account details for payments to go directly to your bank account.

DID YOU KNOW? We accept photo images of your claim form and supporting documentation to assist processing your claim electronically.

Please do not hesitate to contact the BERT Operation Team on 1300 261 114 if you require any assistance.



To make a claim from the BERT Fund, please complete and return the Claim Form along with the required documentation. If your claim is for a total withdrawal, all monies in BERT Fund No.2 (payments received on or after 1 April 2004) and any funds in BERT Fund (payments received on or prior to 31 March 2004), will be released as two (2) separate payments.

If your claim is for a partial withdrawal, the funds will be taken out of your BERT Fund No.2 first.

Claim Types and Requirements  


You are eligible if you have been terminated due to redundancy; shortage of work; end of season / contract; unsuitability for the type of work. To claim, you will need:

  • Claim form 
  • Separation Certificate issued by your previous employer, and 
  • Bank statement (EFT)

Leaving the Building Industry  

You are eligible if you have not worked in the building industry for 52 weeks and will not be seeking re-employment within the building industry.

  • Claim form 
  • Bank statement (EFT)


You are eligible if you have attained preservation age (click here for more information on preservation age) and you have permanently retired from the workforce.

  • Claim form 
  • Separation Certificate issued by your previous employer 
  • A completed Statutory Declaration advising 'I have permanently retired from the workforce', and 
  • Bank statement (EFT)

BERT provides free Financial Planning as an industry benefits to members. If you are claiming BERT due to retirement you can contact one of our Financial Planners, on 07 3833 1100 for assistance with:

  • Centrelink entitlements and application process
  • Structuring financial affairs to maximise government entitlements
  • Retirement funding
  • Accessing BERT and potential impact on Centrelink


You are eligible if you are suffering a permanent injury or illness that prevents you from working in the building and construction industry.

  • Claim form
  • Separation Certificate issued by your previous employer
  • Medical Certificate from doctor / specialist stating the nature of your disability and that you are permanently unfit for work in the building industry, or other documentation (i.e. Centrelink advice of disability pension), and
  • Bank statement (EFT)

Leaving Australia  

You are eligible if you are leaving Australia permanently to take up residence overseas.

  • Claim form
  • A completed Statutory Declaration advising 'I am leaving Australia to live permanently overseas'
  • Evidence of living overseas via a one way airline ticket, or a bill, or a bank statement with overseas address, and
  • Bank statement (EFT) (must be an Australian account for EFT payments)

Financial Hardship  

The Trustee has sole and total discretion to pay a financial hardship claim provided they are satisfied the claim meets the criteria. All claims for financial hardship are referred to our Financial Specialist and submitted to a Committee for assessment.

Claiming Financial Hardship may not be the best option for you and we may consider alternative ways to assist you.

Below are the criteria under which you may submit a claim.

a) You ceased employment not due to a genuine condition of redundancy (i.e voluntarily); or

b) You are still employed with your current BERT Employer

  • Claim form
  • A letter advising us of the unforeseen reason(s) that have lead you to be in financial hardship, and evidence to support your reason
  • Evidence of hardship – copies of urgent unpaid bills which equal the amount (after tax) you want to claim
  • Bank Statement displaying the last 30 days of transactions

c) You have been receiving Centrelink benefits for four (4) weeks or more

  • Claim form
  • Centrelink Income Statement, dated within 28 days, which states that you have been receiving benefits for four (4) weeks
  • Bank Statement displaying the last 30 days of transactions

d) You have been receiving WorkCover for 26 weeks or more

  • Claim form
  • WorkCover letter / documentation confirming that you have been receiving benefits for at least 26 weeks, and
  • Bank Statement displaying the last 30 days of transactions

The following reasons will not be accepted as evidence of hardship:

  • Dismissal due to misconduct including assault, abandonment of employment, theft, bullying, criminal activity, or under the influence of alcohol or use of illegal substance
  • RDO / Public Holidays / Reduction of hours

The following forms of bills / evidence will not be accepted as evidence of hardship:

  • Sper fines / infringement notices
  • Credit Card bills
  • Vet Bills
  • Sport / Club Registration
  • Wedding related expenses
  • Travel / holiday expenses
  • Purchase of an Investment Property

As part of the assessment process, you will be referred to one of our inhouse Financial Counsellors for financial assistance.

Death Benefits  

In the event of a death of a BERT member and to make a claim, you will need:

  • Signed Application for Death Benefit form
  • Copy of the Death Certificate
  • Copy of the Deceased proof of age
  • Copy of Will / Probate / Letter of Administration (if one exists)

BERT will only make payments to the Estate / Legal Personal Representative. Please contact the BERT Office on 1300 261 114 for any enquiries or assistance.

To download an application form go to the forms section of this website.

Benefit payment methods  

We are able to pay your claim as a cheque or directly into your (not a third party) bank account via Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT). Please supply a bank statement with your BSB and account number. In order to pay via EFT we rely on the accuracy of the details you provide. If the information provided is incomplete, insufficient, illegible or inaccurate a cheque will be drawn and forwarded to your address and your claim may be delayed.

Partial benefits  

You may not wish to claim your full benefit. If this is the case please indicate the amount you want net of any tax payable, in the ‘payment to you’ section. If there are insufficient funds to pay your requested amount we will pay your total account balance.

Transfer of benefits 

Transfer between eligible redundancy trusts are available upon request and are at the total discretion of the Fund Trustee.

Extenuating circumstances  

Your claim may not meet the normal claim criteria as above, however the Trustee may consider your application if extenuating circumstances exist e.g. the benefit is required to cover medical expenses for yourself or a dependent.

If you believe you may be eligible to claim under these circumstances, please contact BERT on 1300 261 114 to discuss the matter.

Submitting a Claim Form  

Once you have completed the claim form you can Post (PO Box 805, Spring Hill QLD 4004), SMS (0428 483 324) or Email (claims@bert.com.au) your claim to our offices.